If you're working in a retail store, whether you're a store employee, a vendor, a broker, etc. --basically if you are on the selling floor, one of the most important things you can do is sell.
And whether you’re a seasoned professional, or a first time sales person, know this: You can get massively better at sales.
There’s no such thing as a born salesperson, but there are people who find it easier to get better than others.
The difference is not so much in skills – which can be learned, and which you will learn following this blog. The difference is attitude. We are going to teach you the skills. It’s up to you to get your attitude right – and keep it that way.
Having the right attitude will certainly make learning, practicing, and mastering the skills easier.
The great news is, if you’re subscribed to this blog, you most likely have the right attitude because people who want to get better, subscribe.
But let’s go over what the right attitude looks like…What makes up the right attitude?
- A desire to help and serve people
- Solution focused
- A desire to change your life, and the life of others for the better
- A desire to learn, practice, and master sales skills
- A positive mental attitude
- Don’t sweat the small stuff – if the current customer doesn’t buy the next one will
Now let’s take a moment and talk about how the right attitude will help you win.
First, you must believe you can get better at sales. Remember the saying, “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t – you’re probably right.” Let’s start off on the right foot by thinking we can.
I’ll say it again regarding skills vs. attitude? – Attitude is actually more important than skill.
We can, and will, teach you all of the skills and techniques about how to sell; but if you have a negative perception about selling, inner fears, doubts, and/or insecurities – you won’t be able to put those skills to use.
That’s why as much as we focus on the skills, we also focus on helping you to see how sales is one of the most incredible professions – one where you spend your days helping people – and furthering your career while you’re doing it.
Begin with these three mindsets, and together we will help you massively increase your sales skills:
- You can’t sell what you are not willing to buy. So your first task is to get sold on your company, your store, and the products you sell. I’m not saying you actually need to purchase them, but do the work to find all the reasons YOU would shop your store and buy the products inside it.
- Get sold on this blog. Trust that it will arm you with the skills AND attitude you need to master the art of sales, and it will. But understand that reading the posts not enough. You need to practice and role play until you can put this training to use in your sleep.
- Get sold on yourself. YOU can do this, and don’t’ let anyone tell you that you can’t. You know, often times when we try to make a change or better ourselves, well-meaning people say thoughtless things that make us doubt ourselves. Don’t let them dissuade you from the success you’re capable of.
Now, I’m not here to tell you that becoming a great sales person is easy. It will take work, and regular study and practice – and If you want to become great, you will.
The best advice I can give you is to clear your mind of negative thoughts, stop making excuses for past (or perceived future) failures, and dedicate yourself to this course of study and success for yourself and your family.
In summary, if you have three things you can absolutely get great at sales:
- And Technique
And that’s exactly what this blog is designed to give you. Subscribe, and keep reading, and you’ll be armed with so much knowledge, so many sales skills, and ways to stay motivated that you’ll be better equipped to succeed in the workplace -- and in life!
Wherever you are in your sales journey, you can and will get better. Follow this blog, and soon people will start saying you’re a “born salesperson,” too!