We're Hiring!

Retail Greatness Blog

Want Your Customers to Have Perfect Shopping Experiences? Try it. Test it. Tweak it. And Start All Over Again.

"Eat your own dog food." It's a term that I learned years ago that transformed our business; and it's something you need to do too. And I'm going to teach it to you now.

It means that unless you use your own products and services you have NO IDEA what your customer experience is like. And years ago when I started forcing our team to use our own tools to train and manage our own people, it was a real eye opener -- and caused us to completely redesign everything to make it something that I would take pleasure in using.

So as a retail executive, do you even know what your shoppers experience? In every store? In slow times and during the holiday rush? Have you tried it?

WELL YOU CAN'T. NOT PHYSICALLY, ANYWAY. BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY STORES AND TOO MANY VARIABLES TO SAMPLE.

Topics: 100% Retail Execution customer experience

The Brick & Mortar Survival Guide Now Available in the Kindle Store

I've always wanted to write a book, and started hundreds; but I never thought the first one I'd finish would be all about saving brick & mortar retail.

It came about because I'd been doing a lot of home improvement over the summer -- and visiting ALL KINDS of retail stores for the many projects that I'd taken on.

And a weird thing began to happen. I, who never ordered more than a few things from Amazon.com found myself gradually ordering more and more from Amazon as each trip to all of these various retail stores made it clear that the retail shopping expeirence is HORRIBLE.

They are out of stock on a HUGE number of products. MANY in-store associates are untrained, often rude, apathetic, and more often than not I found myself making MANY trips to the same store (because the associate who helped me didn't understand my problem and sold me a partial solution), or different stores (because it took several stores to find enough things in stock to complete one project.)

Gradually, I was being PUSHED to Amazon -- and if Amazon didn't have it -- searching out other online vendors.

And then it hit me.

Traditional Retail is dying.

Topics: 100% Retail Execution retail sales customer experience

5 Costs That Midsize Retailers Can Trim Down While Lifting Operating Efficiency

One of the biggest areas to impact midsize retailers’ profitability is cost reduction; and the only way to do that is to challenge every expense.

Topics: 100% Retail Execution

CPG Brands: Do You Understand How Important Retail Store Servicing Is?

Did you hear about how Amazon recently beat the entire retail industry in market growth? Online shopping for consumer goods is becoming popular, especially among so-called millennials.  Consequently, the consumer packaged goods industry is no doubt changing, making competition even fiercer for store real estate.

Topics: category management 100% Retail Execution

CPG Manufacturers Should Focus on Retail Execution to Get More Shelf Space

Getting your products on retailer shelves can be filled with hurdles. Retailers allocate shelf space based primarily on profit margins. Those profit margins are razor-thin, so getting your foot in the door is incredibly challenging.

Add to that the impact that ecommerce sales have had on physical stores, and you see that shelf space has to be optimized, from the retailers perspective.

Topics: speed to shelf 100% Retail Execution incremental space promotions slotting fees

Win at Retail with 100% Execution

In these challenging times for retail, manufacturers and MSOs have to bring every advantage to the table to succeed in this business. Often they think that means hiring the best field service reps or making the most appealing products. But a full team and great merchandise don’t automatically translate to a winning formula. History is full of vendors who fell flat because they didn’t win using the key ingredient -- Execution.

Topics: 100% Retail Execution win at retail

MSOs Should Be Using Real-time Information to Rise Above the Pack

Merchandising Service Organizations who are still using outdated technology...STEP UP YOUR GAME. To stay competitive means doing anything you can to serve your clients.

That means you’ve got to be ultra-responsive.

What does that take? Real-time information. Why wait until end-of-day to get reports from the field? You want to know about out-of-stocks, missing shelf tags, and incomplete visits while reps are on site.  

Getting store execution perfect 100% should be the goal, right? Well, it’s achievable...but you need to rely on real-time information.

Among the key information sets you need are…

Topics: 100% Retail Execution state of the art mobile field force technology

How Do you Get More Doors From Your Retail Field Reps?

With the recent increase in store closures, competition is heating up for manufacturers and MSOs who support retailers. So you've got to be thinking about how to separate your company from other supply chain vendors who might be looking to carve out a bigger piece of the shrinking pie.

Topics: 100% Retail Execution Field Manager Greatness more doors retail execution

It's 2:30 pm...Do You Know Where Your Retail Field Rep Is?

During a recent conversation with a manufacturer's field manager, the manager said: "Managing a retail merchandising / sales field team is tough." When I asked him why, he said, "I don't know where half my retail service team is most of the time." I was dumbfounded.

Topics: Field Rep Greatness increasing retail sales 100% Retail Execution

7 Reasons the Supply Chain Continues to Fail at Simply Keeping Products in Stock -- And What to Do About It

Did you see the stockout video I shot recently? It's incredible how often I see scenes like that!

I’ve been in the retail industry for many years, and there’s one thing that continues to confound me: why does this keep happening so often? It's a major problem, and it needs to stop.

We've taken one step to address the situation by releasing our retail execution software; and another with our educational blogs and certification site. But let me ask you this: how can YOU help to reduce the stockout levels at the stores you service?

Topics: out of stock 100% Retail Execution retail execution software Workforce Task Management